Skip to main content

Review - The Hunter by L.J. Shen



The Hunter (Boston Belles, #1)The Hunter by L.J. Shen
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

2.5 stars🌟

For my reviews and more, visit my blog -LaraBabbles Book Blog

I finished this book yesterday but had to wait to gather my thoughts for the review. It isn't everyday your favorite author disappoints you.
I never ever thought about giving such a low rating to a L. J. Shen book, but here we are. I'll try to explain my best the reason for the rating.
After reading the ARCs and the Beta reviews, I was most excited for this book. I was literally counting seconds for The Hunter to go live.

Unfortunately, before reading, I was overwhelmed by the low ratings my friends had given this book. I mean, Angry God wasn't my best read for sure, but how bad can Shen write to elicit such a response from the multitude of the readers?

My answer :- Pretty Bad.

Reason #1- The awful dialogues. Now, I understand the authors need to insert humor in her words but Shen took it too far. In her attempt to make Hunter appear as a funny character, she made him out to be a total creep. Negative 🌟

Reason #2- The repetition. Having read almost all the books by Shen, I could sense a pattern in her books. It's not a bad thing necessarily, but when the characters (and not just the mc's) are repeated just with a different name, it kills something - creativity. Negative 🌟

Here, I'll give you an example -
👉Lana was just the same character as Via in Pretty Reckless. Even the dialogue is kinda repeated.

Via - “Four years ago, you flaunted all you have in my face while I had nothing. Now, I’m going to take every single thing that belongs to you and make a show everyone in town is going to have fun watching while doing it. I want it all, Daria. Your dedicated mom, sweet sister, loyal dad, and popular friends. If you have a boyfriend, I’ll take him, too. And fuck him better.”

Lana -“You want to be an archer? I will become a better one. You get a pet? I’ll kill it. A boyfriend? I will steal him. Whatever you acquire in life, Sailor, I will take it from you. Because you took something from me.”

👉The whole situation of the story - a recovering rake in need of a baby sitter to watch him over is similar to Midnight Blue.

👉The discovery that Hunter is not actually the son of Gerald but is a result of his mother's infidelity is awfully similar to the situation of Cèlian Laurent in Dirty headlines.

Reason #3- The awful MC. Hunter was the worst hero I could ever imagine. He was immature, childish and didn't have a single alpha bone in his body. It was a torture to be in his mind which was filled with the thoughts of sex and... nothing, just sex.

I cannot bring myself to hate Sailor, but considering that she was Troy's daughter, I expected her to have more personalilty. She was the rebooted version of Sparrow, nothing great. Negative 0.5 🌟.

I so desperately wanted this to be a 5 star read for me, but maybe the next one, I guess?

description


View all my reviews

Comments

Most popular

ARC Review- Charlie by Siobhan Davis

Blurb:- Demi Dropping out of college senior year was never part of my plan. But Dad needs me, and I’d move mountains for the only parent I’ve ever known—even working for the company that fired him. My boss, Charlie, is determined to make my life a living hell, availing of every opportunity to undermine my confidence, to humiliate and threaten me. Sleeping with him the night of his wedding might have something to do with his attitude. Or the fact I’m the spitting image of the woman he really wants. If our financial situation wasn’t so dire, I’d tell Charlie to stick his job up his delectable butt. But I’m trapped, and things are only getting worse. Because the more layers I uncover, the more I realize he is nothing l expected and everything I crave. Charlie If there was a manual for all the ways a person could mess up his life, it’d have my name written on it. I can’t undo the things I’ve done, no matter how badly I want to, and every day is a constant reminder of my epic failure. Espec

Black Knight by Rina Kent -Teaser Reveal #5

Teaser Reveal #5- Black Knight by Rina Kent  Are you ready for the emotional angst?  👑 🖤 Black Knight is Coming May 21st! 🖤 👑 Are you ready for the emotional angst? 👑 🖤 Pre-Order Now 🖤 👑 AMAZON US ➜ https://amzn.to/37YIGm4 AMAZON UK ➜ https://amzn.to/2xDwIBT INTERNATIONAL ➜ https://smarturl.it/BKBuy 👑 🖤 Add to Goodreads 🖤 👑 ➜ http://bit.ly/BK-GR 👑 🖤 Bloggers Sign Up 🖤 👑 ➜ https://bit.ly/BK-Bloggers 👑 🖤 Blurb 🖤 👑 Love is impossible. Hate is an open game. Kimberly He was once my best friend, now he’s my worst enemy. Xander Knight is heartbreakingly beautiful. Ridiculously popular. Brutally cruel. He’s a knight but won’t do any saving. Xander We started as a dream, now we’re a nightmare. Kimberly Reed is pathetically fake. Terribly innocent. Secretly black. She can hide but never from me. ________ #SignUps #BlackKnight #BK #RoyalElite #RES #RinaKent #DeviantKing #SteelPrincess #TwistedKingdom

Review - The Unrequited by Saffron A. Kent

The Unrequited by Saffron A. Kent My rating: 5 of 5 stars 5 stars 🌟 For my reviews and more, visit my blog LaraBabbles Book Blog My mother probably thought I had a break up over phone or bad period cramps. Yep! That is how I ugly cried while reading this book. After a series of disappointing reads, this book came to me as a life-saver. The Unrequited is going to be my all time favorite book from now on. I must confess that when I read the blurb, I thought that this book was going to be another explicit story about how a girl lusts after her Professor and all the typical drama that comes with a forbidden Romance. And for my ignorance and stereotyping, I got smacked in my face with a bucket load of angst and a beautiful heartbreaking story. I was in a perpetual state of blocked throat while reading this book. The Unrequited is a story of a heartbroken girl, Layla Robinson who has sworn off love due to a terrible ending with her first attempt at loving someone. She is miserabl